- Live From Jodrell Bank announce science activity at Paul Weller and Elbow headlined show
- Meet a Mars robot, find out the science of sport, try your hand at mathematical origami and loads more at Jodrell Bank’s Science Arena
- Hands-on science workshops, lectures and experiments included in the ticket price
- Elbow Sold Out / Paul Weller tickets still available
This summer, the Science Arena at Live from Jodrell Bank expands beyond the stars! Spend the daytime participating in experiments, workshops and meeting those involved in cutting edge science technology. Find out more about astronomy and beyond and then spend the night under the stars listening to the some of the most incredible musical artists around.
Modfather Paul Weller, who headlines on Sunday 24 June, is an internationally acclaimed star from his early days in The Jam, to his much loved hits with The Style Council and his solo career. With Brit Awards, Mercury Nominations and an Ivor Novello Award, Paul Weller has provided music lovers with hits including The Changing Man, You Do Something To Me and Wake Up the Nation.
“I’m excited to play Jodrell Bank, it’s always good to perform in unique places and this will be the most unique of them all! It’s going to be a great show in a great space-age setting,” – Paul Weller
Support comes from former Blur guitarist and solo artist Graham Coxon, Baxter Dury and Little Barrie with very special guests to be announced shortly for this show.
Highlights from the Science Arena include:
- See the amazing giant Lovell Telescope in action as Jodrell Bank Astrophysicist Tim O’Brien puts it through its paces live from stage!
- Meet Bridget, the Mars rover built as part of the research for the European Space Agency’s next mission to Mars
- Find out about the beautiful intricacies of mathematical origami – and do some experiments of your own
- Learn about the science of sport with In the Zone – a Welcome Trust exhibition inspired by London 2012 – discover the secret springs that make you jump – get under the skin of your blood system – race to the finish and take home access to your own personal showreel!
- Find out more about pulsars, rapidly rotating stars the size of a large city that send out radio waves across the Universe
- Meet Jodrell Bank scientists and engineers working at the cutting edge of science and find out about the latest research http://www.jb.man.ac.uk
- Find out the latest news about the exciting multi billion pound project to build the world’s biggest telescope, the Square Kilometre Array – with the international HQ right here at Jodrell!
- Meet eMERLIN, the UK-wide network of telescopes run from Jodrell Bank
- Get updates on the search for the elusive Higgs Boson, the so called ‘God particle’, from the Large Hadron Collider in Geneva
- Celebrate the centenary of the birth of pioneering computer scientist, Alan Turing with the Turing Sunflower project, a mass experiment to grow thousands of sunflowers and count their spirals!
- And finally, find out why Jodrell Bank is the UK hub for ALMA, – a world class Telescope in the heart of the Chilean Andes.
Associate Director Of Jodrell Bank Observatory, Tim O’ Brien comments “We’re really looking forward to this year’s festival and very excited about bringing together great music and great science. Watch out for a star performance from the Lovell Telescope!”
Live From Jodrell Bank sees innovative artists performing large-scale outdoor concerts in the shadow of the iconic Lovell telescope, one of the biggest and most powerful radio telescopes in the world. Marrying science and music, ticket holders can participate in a fantastic range of day time events before superlative music in the evening when the 76 metre Lovell Telescope is used as a giant projector as a spectacular backdrop to the bands on stage!
For over five decades, the giant Lovell Telescope at Jodrell Bank has been part of the Cheshire landscape and an internationally renowned landmark for astronomers. Since the summer of 1957 it has been exploring the depths of outer space in a quest for knowledge. It remains one of the biggest and most powerful radio telescopes in the world, spending most of its time investigating cosmic phenomena that were undreamed of when it was first conceived.
LFJB VIDEO LINK - LINK - http://www.youtube.com/watch?
TICKETS FOR PAUL WELLER
Tickets £35 // no age restriction
Coach tickets are available from various pick up points to buy from Ticketline.
Full travel info can be found at www.livefromjodrellbank.com
Wythenshawe FM has a pair of tickets to give away to see Paul Weller. For your Chance to Win tickets just answer this simple question and send your answer and contact details to firstname.lastname@example.org
What was Paul Weller’s famous band called?
A) The Marmite
B) The Marmalade
C) The Jam
Competition Ends 15th June 2012 and winner will be annouced on air