Listed below are details of current events being broadcast on Wythenshawe FM’s “What’s On Guide”.
- Beat Identity Theft with Shred-It. You are invited to come along with all unwanted documents you can carry for shredding on Saturday 19th July 10-2pm at Wythenshawe hospital, car park entrance 3. It’s all free of charge and representatives maybe on hand to offer tips on how you can protect yourself against identity theft.
- Come and help at The Big Dig on Saturday 26th July at St Andrews Church. Signpost, at St Andrews are looking for volunteers to help tend the garden bed outside the church windows, and to make teas and coffees? Another request is for biscuits and cakes for the day. If you are interested then contact Kath on 0161 436 5432 or email@example.com
- l There’s a Fun Day at Benchill Community Centre on Saturday 30th Aug., between 11 and 3 …. and help is needed. Can you supply raffle or tombola prizes? Or would you like to set up a stall? If you can help in any way contact Rochelle Lonergan at Benchill Community Centre Benchill Road Wythenshawe M22 8EJ Tel: 0161 945 0879
- Wythenshawe Community Initiative’s Family Funday will be held on Wednesday 6th August at the Family Centre, 7 Stoneacre Road Wythenshawe Manchester M22 1BP. Are there any local community groups wishing to showcase their talents on the day? If so then contact Clare North on 0161 498 0292 or email;firstname.lastname@example.org
- Woodhouse Park Lifestyle Centre have many projects promoting community inclusion for adults with learning disabilities in Manchester. Drop in Tuesdays 11 ’til 2 at Portway Wythenshawe Manchester M22 1QW
- The Wythenshawe Games is taking place in Wythenshawe Park, from 26th July to 1st August. The week will be a festival of sports, games, activities and entertainment – all good fun, open to all and FREE! For more information go to www.wythenshawegames.org.uk
- Immediately after the Games, on Sat 2nd and Sun 3rd August, Wythenshawe Together is taking over the park for their hugely successful Community Festival. Another good reason to come along to the park!
- Local MP Mike Kane will be holding a question and answer discussion meeting with local residents at St Andrews Church, Brownley Road on Tuesday 5th August from 11am till 2pm. Refreshments will be served, and there is parking and disabled access. The idea of the discussion is for local residents to be able to say what they think is good and bad about Wythenshaw, and what they would like to change to improve Wythenshawe. Please come along and have your say.
- On Monday 4th August walks of remembrance from various parts of Wythenshawe will leave between 6.30pm and 7pm to arrive at William Temple Parish Church for a Vigil Service of Prayer at 7.30pm Community groups, organisations and churches are encouraged to arrange their own walk to arrive at William Temple Church in time for the short service. Please use the following web site if you are arranging a walk, so that it can be added to that website. www.wythenshawe-anglican.org
- Can you buy one extra food item as a donation to help alleviate food poverty among local young people? …… If you can help please contact Rev. Jeremy Tresise tel: 0161 976 3864 or Kath Roberts at signpost tel: 0161 436 5432 or www.wythenshawe-anglican.org
- The streets of Manchester will be closed to traffic on 3rd August, as thousands of people are set to descend on the city in celebration of all things cycling at Sky Ride 2014. For details visit realliveswythenshawe.com
- Tree of Life is presenting a couple of Family Fun Days: on Friday 1st August get along to Oatlands Road M22 1AH, and on Friday 8th August the Fun Day is at Greenbrow Road M23 2UE. Times for both are 11:00am – 3:00pm
- Connect Support is a registered charity giving help and support to relatives and carers dealing with mental illness. For the over 50’s there is Moorside Community Hub where you can find: Northenden Healthy Living Group, The Tuesday Club, Moorside Residents Group, The Thursday Club, The Generation Project, Connect Support and South Manchester Arthritis Support Group. Activities include: bingo, guest speakers, quizes, coffee mornings, chat, crafts and excercises. The venue is Moorside. 6, Robert Owen Gardens, Northenden. M22 4DD Find out more, during office hours, on 0161 945 2950
- Wythenshawe Regeneration Team Growth and Neighbourhoods Directorate are offereing Hospitality Apprenticeship Vacancies in Stockport with immediate start – ring Angela for an interview at the Apprenticeships Store, Stockport 0161 474 4745
- Wythenshawe Oasis is conducting research to find out if people in
Wythenshawe want to volunteer – and if they do - why - and what do they want to do. Please fill in our survey, there are only 10questions, and it will help Wythenshawe Oasis develop better volunteering opportunities for local residents. Deatails on; https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/SGZ95GP
- SVP Furniture Project in Wythenshawe is looking for a Volunteer that can work from home answering a mobile phone and take orders and messages.
Further details Tel .Bernard Caine on 902 9221
- Volunteers are needed for Wythenshawe Together ………it’s on the 2nd & 3rd August from 7am til 5pm ………. Can you help with setting up and closing out the event – Stewarding for visitors and stall holders and Stewarding at the parade, (for this you must be 18) – and finally, help with evaluation forms on the day? If you can spare an hour two on the 2nd 3rdAug. it would be a great help. Contact Charlie on Charlie.email@example.com
- Sue Clarke is trying to ‘set up’ an Over 50′s Club at Lawton Moor Methodist Church on Button Lane, but is having problems arranging transport for some of the elderly. Can anyone help or give Sue any ideas to solve her transport problem? Sue’s number is 07821 373833
- There are local courses, jobs, and volunteering opportunities with MARIM more details on 0161 234 5580 email: firstname.lastname@example.org or website : www.manchester.gov.uk
- Wythenshawe Oasis and Manchester Advice Allianceare setting up access points, where people will be able to use computers for free with the support of trained volunteers, to make their benefit claims and find information online……Volunteers are needed …..and they will get free training, so if you would like to be one, you must to be able to offer 3 hours per week and have good computer skills. The access point will be open Tuesday and Thursday 10am till 1pm at St Andrews House. For more information, or to sign up for the training contact Jason Kenyon 0161 437 4003 or email Jason.email@example.com
- l Free ….. a ‘Community Reporter Train the Trainer Programme’ ….this is an exciting opportunity for people to learn the skills required to deliver Community Reporter training, covering; basic journalism, photography, audio and video production. You do need to possess content creation skills and commitment. Full details from: www.macc.org.uk or tel: 0161 834 9823 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- ‘Neighbourhood Life’ is introducing a programme called Health and Wellbeing at Forum Leisure. Details from 07718194479
- ‘Real Food Wythenshawe’ is running courses to help you grow, cook and eat sustainably. To book Tel; 0161 946 7548 or email: email@example.com
- If you would like us to add your event to this ‘What’s On Guide’, email the details toJason Kenyon at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you would like to get involved with helping the Real Food team at the walled garden in Wythenshawe Park, they will be meeting at 1pm every Wednesday at the Community Farm. Come and get involved and have some fun!
- The Skills Academy is a Project set up by Manchester Mencap, it’s at Benchill Community Centre, and it’s very different from mainstream learning disability projects because they produce TV style programmes, and a Radio Show. They are open Monday to Friday between 10am to 3pm. The TV style programmes they produce are for the people who attend, and each one receives a copy on DVD. The productions include TV chat shows such as ‘On The Couch With Dave and Darren’, some comedy, and a weekly radio show – called ‘The Crew Show’ which is broadcast on WFM 97.2 each Thursday between 4 and 5pm. …… The talent shown is extraordinary …..just take a listen https://www.youtube.com/watchv=B0WwnAu15yA
For more info email email@example.com phone 07881 468 569
- This request is from The Wythenshawe Group of ‘Contact The Elderly’. They need Volunteer Hosts …… so if you are prepared to welcome between 6 to 10 elderly people (and their drivers) into your home and provide tea, sandwiches, cake and good company for a couple of hours one Sunday afternoon, here’s how to make contact …. tel. Gwen Lightfoot on 01925 728969 or email Gwen on firstname.lastname@example.org This sounds like a really good community project. By the way – a downstairs toilet is essential.
- At Kids Start on Longley Lane, Northendon, your child aged between 2 and 3 could be eligible for a place. For full details tel. 07870 911 951 or 07583 097306 or try kidsstart.org.uk Kids Start also offer Holiday Clubs priced at £15 a day or £70 a week details also from 07870 911 951 or 07583 097306 or try kidsstart.org.uk
- Sam, Mel, Shell and Sam all have children with ADHD …… they call themselves ADHD AND LIFE WYTHENSHAWE….. they meet every Tuesday, between 10-12, at Newall Green Primary School which is on Firbank Road, parents in a similar position are invited to drop in for coffee.
To submit details of an event you are running please fill in your details below. If you have a press release document you may send this by selecting 'attach file.'