Local people are being urged to use a new police phone number for non-emergency calls – 101.

101 is the number for people to phone for any concern where they don’t need a police vehicle to race their           house in the next five minutes, according to Diane Grandidge, who manages the call takers for Greater                  Manchester Police. The new number, launched in Manchester on

23 November, is set to be rolled out across the country in January 2012.

Now GMP has launched the easy-to-remember 101 number, which will be routed to an operator based in Manchester, it’s urging people to think before they dial, to use the emergency number for emergencies only, and to dial 101 for everything else


What you can report using 101

Call 101 to contact the police to report less urgent crime and disorder or to speak to your local officers.
For example, call 101:
  • if your car has been stolen
  • if your property has been damaged
  • if you suspect drug use or dealing in your local area
  • to report a minor traffic accident
  • to give the police information about crime in your area
  • to speak to the police about a general enquiry
  • vandalism and graffiti
  • noise nuisance
  • abandoned vehicles
  • dumping and fly tipping
  • broken street lighting

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *